Do-it-yourself repairs always seem exciting, and the thought that you are going to save a lot of money makes it even more tempting.
At the beginning, you may feel that you can easily take care of the repair, but the moment you climb up the ladder with a bag full of supplies and tools, the whole excitement turns into a dreadful experience. Even if you manage to pull off the act, the results are not half as good as those of professionals. We don’t mean to discourage you, but here are some reasons why DIY gutter repair could be a bad idea:
- You can get injured – Gutter repair sure sounds like a simple thing. However, the actual facts depict a grim picture. Thousands of people get hurt every year by falling from ladders. Trying to climb a ladder with your hands full of supplies or equipment can leave you with a fracture that will keep you glued to bed for another month.
- You will have to do a lot of research and learning – Fixing gutter leakages or other problems is not as simple as changing a light bulb. You need to first learn how to identify the root cause of the problem, and then the best way to resolve it. You might have to spend a few days learning about gutter repair from the websites.
- You don’t know what materials and methods would work best – Even if you have identified the problem, and its possible solutions, chances are high that you would not know which method or materials would work best on your gutters.
- You can end up damaging the gutters – In your attempt to repair the gutters on your own, you can end up doing more damage than good to them. Modern gutters are light weight and pliable. If not handled properly, they get damaged easily.
- You can spoil the look – Even if you are able to mend the gutters, you might not be able to do a job that is aesthetically correct. Professional companies can make the repairs without leaving any ugly tell tale signs.
- Expenses can go over the top – If we combine the man hours, material costs, transportation costs, additional repair costs (which are most likely to accrue), and miscellaneous expenses, you will end up spending more than you actually intended to save.
Using a Professional Gutter Company
Risking your life doing something that you are not trained to do is not worthwhile. For all your needs of guttering installation and repair, you should get in touch with a professional gutter company. Whether you have seamless gutters, aluminium guttering, half round guttering, round gutters, or copper gutter, a professional gutter company is equipped and trained to handle all kinds of repairs.
If you have been thinking of undertaking DIY gutter repairs, just drop the idea for your own good, and call Scott-Lee Guttering Company at (314) 756-9440 for a free consultation.
Photo credit: ilovebutter